Sunday, September 13, 2009

‘Reaching New Heights’

Ironman Louisville August 30th, 2009

Written September 12th, 2009

Jennifer Lynn Waller, 32 years of age, 3 time Ironman

Ironman is a funny thing. Its’ so massive and overwhelming by most, but completely possible by many. Too many times during the last few months of training I told myself that this is completely unnecessary and there is no reason for anyone to abuse their body to this point but at the same time I could not image not waking up pre-dawn and heading up to Red Top Mountain Lake for an open water swim or heading over to one of my favorite spots such as “the church” for a 50+ mile ride at Silk Sheets. Some mornings were pleasant as all I had to do that day was ride with a good friend such as our neighbor Jonny or meet up with coach Jen or Lea or Amy. Other mornings I had other things that I was obligated to do and had to squeeze in any kind of workout possible to get time on the legs as Ironman does not care if someone is getting married or our parents want to visit with us. It, Ironman, happens regardless of life. After all the time, monitoring, sweat, tears, and butt cream I had logged in five 4000 plus yard swims, six 100 plus mile rides, and five 18 plus mile runs and you better believe I felt ready.

This ironman was special and fun. It was special because Bill and I signed up for this race while in Louisville last year while we contemplated his race one day later. We were also in the middle of our epic journey traveling the Louisville, Madison circuit. Ironman is a huge part of our being. It’s something we both understand and desire and we are lucky enough to share its power together. It was fun because 4 other Peachtree Triathlon friends, Bill’s good friend Jeff and our coach Jen shared in this adventure with us. It’s was great running into each one of these friends/athletes during races leading up to Ironman, training days and dinners while at Ironman weekend.

On Thursday morning Bill, Amy our dedicated Sherpa for the weekend, and I headed north to Louisville, KY and mindfully drove with the goal to registered that afternoon. We also wanted time to check out the expo and hoopla surrounding it. Amy had her first Sherpa duty quickly upon attempting to prove that we were USAT members in that both Bill and I only had a card that exp 7/2009 not 2010. With iphone in hand then a Ford inspiration laptop computer ready to go we logged onto the USAT website to prove my membership. Once passed this point I was an old pro having done this for my third time.

The madness only increased while checking into our hotel as Curtis Henry attempted to call both Bill and I in order to find out where we were so that I could speak to a film crew regarding Jennifer Henry’s documentary as “Ford Ironman’s Everyday Hero”. So after throwing our bags and gear into our mac daddy room we head over to the park next to the river where Jen was standing in front of her bike with lighting in front and a camera not too far away capturing every blink and smile. After many shots were filmed it was my turn to answer some questions as to why I nominated her as “Everyday Hero” and of course I rattled off my reasons hoping to capture the right tone and convey the reason I thought Jennifer was a “Everyday Hero”. My reason was that while training, working, living and coaching she also manages to selflessly volunteer her time to other outstanding organizations. Her balance and generosity of time makes her a “Hero”.

Beyond celebrating Jen’s honor Bill and I were fortunate enough to enjoy our fellow PTCer’s at open water swims and dinners and my parents who have faithfully attended all three of three of my ironman’s. The energy was good which set up a great race. Before hitting the starting line I had an overwhelming sense of fear. I knew that my training was quality and I knew that I could produce a good race. I was fearful that mentally I would back off and I did not want to do that. I wanted to push my body to a point of actually racing this event verses simply trying to finish it. In fact the topic of people who are there to finish this race to check it off some sort of a “bucket list” verses people who are willing to push it to the line in order to reach a new level of athleticism whether it’s to “PR” or qualify for Kona. I personally love the fact that there are 2000+ people who show up to the starting line and all are there with a different journey and a different set of goals.

Race Morning

Bill and I woke up ready to race. We actually had a good night sleep which is rare the night before Ironman. We promptly began our race morning tradition of chugging Ensures and coffee. After the proper events had occurred we headed down to transition and enjoyed the pre-ironman rituals of checking again and again whether our tires and breaks where just right. Whether we had our nutrition bottles in the correct location and our aero bottles were filled to our liking. Bill struggled with his race wheels in that it was difficult to inflate to the desired pressure of 110-120 psi. He spent good time dealing with the pump connector and ended up having to just let it go and race without knowing the exact pressure. May not seem like a big deal but let me tell you that little bit of uncertainly is enough to allow for doubt.

Starting Line

We proceeded to head over to the swim start where Amy had been vigilantly waiting all morning long to save a space in the time trial style swim start. With her were, coach Jen and Curtis, Jim and his gang, Brendon and Chrissy, and Jen’s friend Myna and friend. Later my parents joined us to add to the vibe. While it was dark we sat and waited with a few burst of energy for some picture taking to lighten the tension but mostly we waited. We waited until we moved, once the pros started and the line was shrinking single file. I was so excited because I was in my element. It was just the right amount of nervous energy and anticipation. It was so much fun starting with those who had trained so hard alongside over the season. But after the high fives and hugs we excitably ran onto the dock and entered the water.

Swim

Swimming had never been my strong suit and this day it proved no different. It is true that a good race is when you produce what you put in and since I had never been the avid swimmer it is only fair that I ended up with a middle of the road result.

Once I jumped in I found my space as all the fast people quickly passed and the slow people swam in every direction aiming for each buoy. Mid-way out I saw people walking, yes walking the river bottom was so shallow that you could stand up and make forward progress, kind of nice. Forward process is ok but a plan is always better than not. I have always had a goal to hit each buoy but in this river swim that was not the best plan. A better plan is to swim out to the final turn buoy and then swim out into the river a little to catch the current. I was wondering as I was all by myself once I turned and aimed for the next buoy but instead of an orange buoy that indicates that we are heading back I met up with a yellow buoy that we saw heading out. This part of the course is hard to visualize and tactfully I messed it up big and was pretty disappointed with my 1:30 time in the water.

Bike

I had a little something to prove as I headed out on the bike. I was upset about being a good ten minutes off my goal swim time so I took it out on the bike and attempted to “make it up”. I only had heart rate as I did not want to spend wasteful time checking my watch and dealing with computers. I did end up with a HR in the high 140s so I was a little above range while pushing as I did for the Covington Century which was the first time I really proved what I can do on a bike. It turned out ok for Covington so I allowed it for Louisville.

The course was beautiful. Nice gradual hill heading over to the loop then rolling hills just like Georgia. It was a little difficult to actually enjoy as the course was crowded. 2000+ athletes were on less than 56 miles of road ways and I was actually trying to follow the drafting rules which ended up making me push even harder because once I got into someone’s drafting range I passed them according to USATs rules.

Every 5 miles rolled rather quickly and I was elated to see that I was just under 18 miles an hour. I started out strong and maybe too strong as I was at 18 miles plus for the first part then slowed down at around mile 60 or 70. I was able to keep my legs but I was looking forward to mile 95 or so as I knew that it was mainly downhill from there but once there my back was achy. I finally made it to the river then to town and was ecstatic with my watch as it said 6:18. I could not believe this. I was thinking 6:30 which I thought would be great but 6:18. I can’t believe that I was capable of that kind of power and speed.

Run

This was the moment, my element. It was time to not mess it up. I sped out of transition and headed out on the run ready to run. I felt good; legs good, stomach good, it was to be a great day. I kept my legs quick and every mile station I properly fueled with gels or salt tabs and water. I could not wait to see my friends. I saw my parents heading out of transition and they looked so proud. Later I saw Amy and Christy and they too were excited. More importantly I was excited. I was executing a run that was text book, high cadence, good fluid intake, and no stomach issues.

The race was on. Around mile 4 I was passing a pro female who was on her mile 16. We kept going back and forth as I stopped at water stops and she kept moving forward but soon after a water break I passed again. I focused on the people in front and aimed to pass each one all the way to downtown Louisville.

Finish Line

I could hear it, I could feel it. Heading into town again I missed my parents and friends but the crowd became my friend. The last few blocks of an ironman marathon is amazing and that moment is undeniably the moment that makes all the hours count. As I ran through the crowd and passed the Ford tire and through the finish chute the moment was mine, I owned it and I took it.

Post Race

Before this race I thought that the training was too much and that ironman is not meant to be a yearly event. But afterwards I have decided that its part of me. It’s who I am. So soon after the race I have decided that one I would do Ironman Az. I am glad that Bill and Amy have said that they too would embark on this journey as well. I have also decided that I am going to go for Kona. I know that it is going to take some time to get to point where I would be top 3 in my age group but I want to put in the hours and dedication to reach Kona. This means lots of time on the bike and of course morning masters so that I can for once learn to swim like a swimmer. I am capable so why not pursue the epic goal of going to Hawaii where it all started. I am thinking luckily number seven. As Ironman started in 1977 by a bunch of crazy fouls and I was born this same year. Also Bill also quotes a piece of research that states that triathletes get better for 7 years in their quest for athleticism. In the meantime, I am going to get married to Bill who is my best friend, training confidant and life partner so that we can pursue greatness in life together.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home